Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences (MAZUMS), affiliated to the Ministry of Health, Treatment and Medical Education, is one of the most outstanding medical universities in Iran. It is a state medical university located in Sari, Mazandaran Province, Iran. MAZUMS has been recognized as a center of excellence for healthcare and teaching since its foundation. It began its activities in 1986 by developing Sari Higher Institute for Midwifery which was founded in 1975.
MAZUMS offers unparalleled resources to the University community, including libraries, laboratories, and research centers to support scholarly work in nearly any field or discipline. As MAZUMS has always been involved in academic, health and treatment activities, it offers a variety of opportunities and excellent facilities for study and research in medical fields. Currently, the university admits students in a variety range of fields including fellowship, sub-specialty, specialty, Ph.D., 3 general medical fields (medicine, dentistry, and pharmacy), MSC and BSC.
The university tries to accomplish its research, education and healthcare objectives through its 8 vice chancellors in education, culture & students’ affairs, research, health, treatment, food and drug, development and resource management affairs, and social affairs. MAZUMS benefits from 7 schools including Medicin, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Allied Medical Sciences, Public Health, Nursing and Midwifery, Advanced Technologies in medicine as well as Ramsar International Campus. Besides, Behshahr Nursing School, Amol Nursing School, and Amol Allied Medical Sciences School have started their activities in recent years.
Most of the schools in MAZUMS are located in Payambar Azam Academic Complex with an area of about 100 hectares, 17 km away from Sari. The schools offer a lot of academic and recreational facilities such as a library, dormitory, laboratories, research centers, gym, transportation, restaurants to the students and academic staff. The university has more than 9273 students in a wide range of fields. Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences has 443 faculty members including 45 professors, 90 associate professors, 280 assistant professors and, 28 instructors.
There are 25 specialized research centers in MAZUMS such as:
- Addiction Research Institutes
- Antimicrobial Resistance Research Center
- Business Incubator of Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences
- Cancer Research Institutes
- Cardiovascular Research Center
- Cohort Study Center
- Diabetes Research Center
- Gastrointestinal Cancer Research Center
- Gut and Liver Reseach Center
- Health of Plant and Livestock Products Research Center
- Health Sciences Research Center
- Hemoglobinopathy Research Institutes
- Invasive Fungi Research Center (IFRC)
- Immunogenetics Research Center
- Islamic Studies and Health Sciences Research Center
- Laboratory Animal Research Center
- Molecular and Cell Biology Research Center
- Orthopedic Research Center
- Pediatric Infectious Diseases Research Center
- Pharmaceutical Sciences Research Center
- Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences Research Center
- Sexual and reproductive health Research center
- Thalassemia Research Center
- Toxoplasmosis Research Center
- Traditional and Complementary Medicine Research Center
There are 40 hospitals in Mazandaran among which 15 hospitals are nongovernmental and 25 hospitals are affiliated to Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences among which 5 are teaching and treatment hospitals: Imam Khomeini Center, which is the largest medical center, is special for neurosurgery, obstetrics, gynecology, IVF, urology, oncology, dialysis, digestion, rheumatology, general surgery, vascular, orthopedics, cancer, kidney disease; Fatemeh Zahra Heart Center is the only center of open heart surgery in Mazandaran Province; Boo-Ali Sina is the center of ophthalmology, ENT, pediatric, neurology, thalassemia, dentistry, general surgery; Zare Psychiatry and Burn Care Center is devoted to psychiatry, burn surgery and reconstructive surgery, Razi is the center of infectious and skin diseases.